Wednesday, August 02, 2006

A view of Central Park


A view of Central Park
Originally uploaded by eqdynamics.

Yegods it's hot here! Well into the 90's F with humidity to match. I always prefer to walk round cities, finding that the best way to discover sights and sounds you'd miss any other way but i managed to lose the vision in my left eye on the second day through heatstroke or a blood pressure problem and had to be helped into a cool restaurant by Louise and Seymour where I eventually recovered after about an hour and plenty of fluids :( Ho hum ...

New York is a great city - it's hard to think of anywhere else on the planet that has such a buzz about the place. Even in the summer heat, New Yorkers go about their business like over-wound clockwork mice. Me, I just amble along trying to keep cool. Staying in Cynthia's apartment on W.71st right next to Central Park, an obvious starting point was to walk through the park. Coming back after around 20 years, the changes are manifold - not to the park but to the feel of the place. The druggies and winos have all gone and the park feels SAFE!

On a hot afternoon, we found a shady place in the park and lay down - this photo is one of my favourite memories of the park ... I was cool for a while!

Seymour and Cynthia were not just great and generous hosts, they also love their city and took me to some fantastic restaurants and sights I

No comments: