Thursday, February 15, 2007

Xandros Server

I’ll cut this short. Xandros was a disaster. For the full background story, see this thread in the Xandros forums. The product offers much – tying a collection of Open Source projects and packages together under a proprietary umbrella of management tools that promises Windows like integration and full interoperability with Windows network environments. The documentation provided is among the best I’ve seen in the Open Source community.

The problem is a simple one – it doesn’t work. At least the early release version I tried doesn’t and the problems I encountered with the product tell me that a LOT of work (possibly even a fundamental rethink of how they’re trying to achieve their objectives) is called for. I went so far as to say that they should not be taking money for this product right now.

No comments: