Thursday, February 15, 2007

Choosing a Linux distro

These days, there is a truly bewildering choice of Linux distros out there. From the “roll your own” versions out on the bleeding edge of the development curve through commercially supported offerings such as Red Hat right up to (by my standards for this project) mega-expensive products from the traditional enterprise-class vendors such as HP, Oracle, Novell etc.

A word about money

Before looking at what I chose and why, it’s worth looking at the budget I had for this project. In moving away from Windows I was writing off a sizeable (for an individual) chunk of change invested in the server operating systems and software. My goal was to replace software that was proving far too costly – in management time and poor reliability – with functional alternatives that would be easier to manage and less costly to run – in both time and pounds sterling!

My Microsoft server environment harks back to my time as owner of an international software development company. In company terms, a few thousand pounds spent on something as essential as email and company-wide network access controls is small change. At garage level, those costs are witheringly unaffordable. To be fair to Microsoft, If I were starting from scratch and buying an MS server environment, their Small Business Server (SBS) product provides most of what I need. For $600 per copy I’d get the base OS, Exchange Server and a primitive firewall. This would buy me 5 user licences which barely covers my needs and once you exceed this figure, costs start to escalate enormously – especially as I’d be buying licences twice over (once for each server) or have to forego the backup and security of the two-server approach I was used to.

I set a purely arbitrary budget figure of $500 for my Linux replacements – as much to see what could be achieved for this small sum as to keep expenditure in scale with income. Xandros Server fit this budget pretty well (for a single server licence with Scalix email thrown in) and would have only exceeded it slightly once a second OS licence had been purchased. But, Xandros didn’t work.

Time to rethink the way to spend the budget.

No comments: