Monday, September 11, 2006

Of printers

Last week also saw me finally install the new Xerox Phaser 6100 colour laser printer I had ordered before leaving for the States. Bought as an end-of-run bargain complete with extra paper tray this machine replaces the venerable HP5100 mono whose noise and smell finally got the better of me (donated to a local school where it will, I'm sure, continue to do sterling work for years to come) and the HP4500 colour laser recently recovered from my ex-wife in non-working condition.

I had initially hoped that the HP4500 would become my main work-horse printer after I'd got it working again with a thorough clean, removal of the jammed paper that was wrapped many, many times round the fuser(!) and replacement of a couple of cartridges but it was not to be. Just days after I'd started to use it, the machine demanded a new set of imaging belt etc. and the cost of these items for what remains an oldish device - and one that may yet have thrown up further problems - swung me into looking for a replacement. The offer of the Phaser 6100 at a price just a few pounds more than the cost of the replacement parts for the HP made the decision easy.

So far, I have to say I'm extremely pleased with the Xerox machine. It warms up faster than the old HP, produces very acceptable print quality for my needs (mainly general office printing and correspondence) prints duplex to save paper and doesn't smell. Best of all - in power-save mode it is SILENT.

Bliss!

No comments: